Ever go to an outdoor shopping center or a nice neighborhood and see a security figure riding a bicycle. A question that may be popping in your mind is why? Who are they going to catch on a bike? What can they possibly do to protect this place? Here at Vista Security International, we are here to inform you of the many ways bicycle security protects and benefits you as an individual. We are the best security guard companies in Puerto Rico.
An Officer on a Bike
The visibility of an officer on a bicycle cannot be matched. With this visibility also comes an increase in human contact with the community. In fact, it is much like the old “Beat Officers” who used to walk the streets. They knew people by name and had a good feel for the neighborhoods at a personal level. On a bicycle, an officer is much more approachable than in a car and can help in building new contacts and trust from the citizens. This allows officers to be proactive in fighting crime rather than reactive. Bike Patrol
Officers can be much more aware of concerns before they turn into problems.
A bicycle patrol is also fantastic for public events such as concerts, sporting events, festivals, road races, and other large gatherings. An officer can move quickly through a crowd while on a bike and can find shortcuts, etc., where a patrol car would have very diminished mobility in the same situation. You can trust one of the best security companies to get the job done right.
Our List Of Reasons For Bicycle Security
- Bikes are less threatening than patrol vehicles
- The novelty of a police officer on a bike is often enough to start overcoming the negative perceptions that some members of a culturally diverse campus population have about law enforcement.
- Other bicyclists are more accepting of bike patrol officers
- Cyclists can connect with bicycle officers on different levels than vehicle patrol officers. They may be more receptive to education and/or enforcement efforts related to cycling behavior and more apt to follow advice on how to prevent bike theft. These individuals might develop a camaraderie with bike patrol officers that would not occur with law enforcement personnel riding in their cars. This camaraderie is important to community-oriented policing.
- Bicycle patrols result in more than twice as many contacts with the public than vehicle patrols
- Students, faculty, and staff are more likely to talk about legal matters, directions, parking information, or ask for information from a campus bicycle patrol officer. These positive contacts help counter stereotypes of police officers as “out to get you” and reinforce efforts to establish relationships of trust between the community and the department.
- Bicycle police/security uniforms help officers to quickly transition from their traditional law enforcement duties to more service-oriented work
- There is no doubt that the dressed down yet the authoritative appearance of a bicycle officer’s shorts and shirt provides a campus constituent with a different, less threatening experience. Agencies can opt for the traditional “Class A” style or a more relaxed golf-style shirt depending on their desired image.
- Perpetrators don’t notice bike patrols
- Individuals who break the law normally are not looking for bicycle officers. They are concerned with marked and unmarked squad cars. Any bicycle patrol officer will relate story after story of riding up to crimes in progress, unnoticed or unrecognized by the perpetrators until the very last moment.
- Bike patrols can go where traditional patrol vehicles can’t
- One of the biggest advantages to bicycle patrol is its ability to navigate swiftly around a campus, avoiding obstacles and hazards that would stop a patrol vehicle in its tracks. University and college campuses are characterized by car-free zones, clusters of buildings with limited vehicle access, constant construction, events of all kinds, texting pedestrians, and people skateboarding and even bicycling into traffic.
- Bicycle officers can use all of their senses to detect illegal activity
- Bicycle officers encounter crime as it is happening and can see, hear and even smell clues that lead them to areas where crimes are being committed.
- Cycles have other uses
- While essential for community policing initiatives, bike patrols can be integrated into other operations and initiatives. Targeted enforcement, surveillance, traffic enforcement, and public order are just a few ways in which bike officers can be deployed.
- Bicycles cost much less to purchase and maintain than traditional patrol cars
- The average fully equipped police bike costs around $1,000 and, properly maintained, will last for years. They don’t need gas for operation, nor the full-sized parking spaces required by other vehicles.
- Bikes provide environmental and health benefits
- Because bike patrols run on human power rather than gas, their carbon footprint is much smaller than patrol cars. With zero emissions and less need for pavement, bicycle patrols may be an attractive option for campuses with green initiatives.
Bicycle security is more beneficial than ever before thanks to security guard companies. Call Vista Security Services International today for more information. There is a reason why we are one of the best security guard companies.